Opportunities are available for international and domestic students to undertake project work at CAI as part of their undergraduate or postgraduate degrees.

Occupational Trainees (International)

An Occupational Trainee is a student enrolled at an overseas university who arranges to come to UQ to complete a research component of their course. The thesis / project work they complete during their stay will count towards the degree they are undertaking at their home institution.

Many overseas universities, especially those in Europe, require PhD and Masters students to undertake a compulsory period of study and research experience in a foreign country, as part of the requirements for completion of a higher degree. If a UQ academic staff member receives such a request from an overseas student, and is agreeable to supervising the student on a particular project, arrangements are made for the student to visit for a mutually agreed period of time.

To gain entry into Australia, an Occupational Trainee has to be nominated (sponsored) by The University of Queensland. Once this nomination is approved, the Occupational Trainee will then need to apply for an appropriate visa (see visa options for studying in Australia here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder/study).

Please note that the minimum age is 18 years unless exceptional circumstances exist. If a trainee is under 18 years suitable welfare arrangements must be in place.

To be granted a visa the applicant and any accompanying family members must also show that they have adequate health insurance for the first 12 months of the training program in Australia.

Enquiries: Please contact cai_pa@uq.edu.au or call (+61) 7 3365 4237.

Bench fees of $1,000 are normally payable, but are negotiable under certain circumstances.

Students are welcome to approach Centre for Advanced Imaging researchers to discuss short research projects that may be required for various undergraduate courses e.g. students in the Advanced Study Program in Science (ASPinS),  SCIE3221 or Master Programs.

What to do next:

Browse through our academic staff profiles to find an area that you are interested in and that suits your undergraduate degree.

Contact the researcher directly via email or contact our Research Higher Degree Administrator, Dr Lorine Wilkinson.